Friday, July 3, 2009

Brian Wilson- There and Everywhere

“Southern California,” from the 2008 album That Lucky Old Sun is distinctly a Brian Wilson composition. The lilting melody, and the careful, delicate arrangement bear the imprint of his best songs. Striking to me is the maturity both in the sound of Wilson’s voice and the perspective from which the song is written. “In My Room,” Wilson’s 1963 ballad with the Beach Boys, provides a yardstick by which to measure this maturity.


Brian Wilson


In “In My Room” the young Wilson sings of his bedroom as being a place where the pain and fear of consensual reality are blocked out in favor of a world of dreams and comfort. Both “In My Room” and “Southern California” use a single, specific location as a point of opening out into a broader metaphysical realm. For the young Brian Wilson it is his bedroom, for the older man it is the entire southern California region. “When you wake up there, you wake up everywhere,” he sings.


3 comments:

  1. Oh Darlin you have brought me back into my own past with Brian! Smiles and sunshine and his music everywhere, the ole guy still has got it.

    My Blogs
    Jewelles
    http://dearmissjulia.blogspot.com/
    Break time with Julia
    http://allrecipes.com/Cook/JuliaFerry/Blog.aspx

    Have the best Day ever and make some happy memories!
    Jewelles

    One of a kind Jewelry.
    Created to be touched and talked about.
    Jewelry to be passed down from daughter to daughter.
    http://jewelles.etsy.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just added you to my follow list, I enjoyed your comparisons between the two songs. I always find it interesting to listen to a band or an atist's progression as songwriters. What themes do they revisit time and time again both musically and content wise, what directions have they gone in and what is it that keeps their new stuff fresh while retaining their signature sound?

    Great read

    ReplyDelete
  3. This type of nice post, We liked that a great deal! Nice style! Fantastic photographs!
    cheap gw2 Gold


    Cheap Runescape Gold

    ReplyDelete