Wednesday, July 3, 2013

John Baldessari: Rare, never boring



Not long ago, I was bored and killing time at my day job when I discovered a manilla envelope containing these photos, xeroxes, and collages that John Baldessari used as reference material for a print project in the early '90s. He is one of my all-time favorite artists, period. I surreptitiously photographed everything in the envelope. The collages are made of xeroxes and just stuck together with Scotch tape. So casual and so brilliant. I would have been excited to see this in a proper gallery setting, so to discover it in a random envelope was quite a big deal for me.

2 comments:

  1. That is so amazing. I can't believe you just randomly stumbled across those. The photo of the surfer and the couple with the redlines seems like a finished piece almost. These are really cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I was so psyched. I kinda think of them as finished pieces, even the photos he didn't do much or anything to, just b/c he used them. Even as studies or whatever they're so distinct. They really have the feel of his finished works.

      Delete